Among the dozens of products in Japan where modern ingenuity meets traditional craftsmanship to create a truly unique blend, the Syouryu Suzugami Bendable Tin Plates stand out. A workshop, Shimatani Syouryu Koubou, from Toyama Prefecture with a history of making bowl gongs for over a century has utilized its know-how to create sheets of tin that you can bend and twist into any shape you like for use as large or small plates. After you are done, you can then use a standard rolling pin to restore them to their original form!
The Syouryu Suzugami Plate Sets combine Shimatani Syouryu Koubou's two main sizes of 13 x 13 cm (5.1 x 5.1") and 18 x 18 cm (7 x 7") in three configurations: three 13 x 13 cm plates, two 18 x 18 cm plates or one 18 x 18 cm plate and two 13 x 13 cm plates, so you can choose the combination that better suits your needs. Each plate in the sets also comes in one of three different textures, poetically called Arare (hail), Samidare (rain), Kazahana (snowflakes), all subtly alluding to the effect of the craftsman’s hammering on the plate. Besides being extremely practical, these are true works of art that will make any table setting more sophisticated and elegant.
The Syouryu Suzugami Bendable Tin Plates features:
- 3 different sets: 13 x 13 cm (5.1 x 5.1”) x 3 / 18 x 18 cm (7 x 7") x 2 / 18 x 18 cm (7 x 7") x 1 & 13 x 13 cm (5.1 x 5.1") x 2
- Sizes and textures vary from plate to plate
- Material: 100% tin, hand-hammered
- Finishes: Arare (hail), Samidare (rain), Kazahana (snowflakes)
- Finishes cannot be selected
- Easily bendable to any shape
- Packaged in traditional handmade paulownia wood boxes
- Food not included (images show usage examples only)
- Instructions: Japanese and English
You may also Fancy